Question from Coach Kimberly S “When you struggle to be the product of the product you are selling, how do you get back on track?”
This is such a great question and I can totally relate to this because I suffer from this too. I will share what works for me in hopes to give you some insight.
For me I find I get sucked into work and life in general and my workouts and consistency struggle. What happens next is that my business struggles because I am working that much harder on it. It is very obvious the energy you put out when you are following the plan and your body is reaping hte benefits of it. “Fine that’s great Anna, I know that but how do I fix it?”
Here is what works for me. Join a challenge group with peers! What happens when you become a coach is that we stop worrying about ourselves and start worrying about our challengers which makes it harder to help them. A vicious cycle it becomes. The two peeer challenge groups I joined in the last 6 months are the only times I have fully been committed to my own journey because I could relate to these other coaches struggles. When it comes down to it, we need others to look out for us too, we are no different.
But how do I find a peer group to join? It’s super simple. The Team Victory All Stars group is not there for me to just post. It is your team page. I suggest you get the ball rolling. Pick a program you are dying to do and stay committed to and post in the group “I would like to start xyz on Monday, who’s with me?” Then you open up a group and you keep each other accountable. This is where you can vent, struggle, get back-up and best of all NETWORK with peers.
You know all those amazing guest speakers I have been having on the team calls, most have come from networking in groups like these. I am telling you when you walk into Starbucks and want a blueberry scone you skip it because of that dang group. No joke that just happened to me today.
The next question Kimberly had was “how do I help my challengers if I can’t do it myself?” I have the real simple answer. It just comes naturally when you put yourself first. I have been sharing in my challenge group all the fun things that have been going on in my peer group. Everyone wins in this case.
I would love to see everyone’s job as a coach become so much easier and I know for a fact this is how. So, don’t be shy, ask I will bet you will get that ball rolling for not only you but many more coaches and their customers.
I cannot tell you how many times I hear from moms, especially my age that say they just don’t have time for themselves. In fact, I just received an application for one of my upcoming challenge groups and my future challenger states “I’m not sure if I have time to put into myself right now.” Can you relate? Are you living your life everyday with fulfillment or are you just getting by just hoping that things will let up so that you will be able to take some time for yourself……. SOMEDAY!!
I am here to tell you to STOP that thinking right now!! Please stop!! You deserve to be treated and pampered. But, what if you literally don’t have time in your mind?? I am here to give you 5 Simple but impactful solutions to embrace your amazing self and treat it like it deserves to be treated.
5 Easy Ways to Pamper Yourself when you don’t have the time
1 – Spend your Lunch hour with YOU! Do you have a day job where you have a lunch break? I know that when I was working full time I used to have an hour lunch in the middle of the day. Some times the time changed and sometimes the hour turned into 30 min when I had a huge deadline. But the fact is by law you have to take a lunch break. Do you own your own business and just can’t seem to get yourself to take a break? Think of it as you PAYING yourself your hourly rate by walking away from your “work” for an hour. Are you a stay at home mom? Same rule applies, although the time during the day may be different. If you have children that nap then THERE is your time. If they do not nap and you are with them all day, then maybe your me time might HAVE to be before they wake up. Either way you are all paying yourself your own hourly rate by giving yourself an hour a day to YOU. What do you do during that time? You spend the time “clearing your head” or Read Personal Development just related to you! Suggestions include Gabrielle Bernstein’s Miracle Now (I read a page a day focused on ME). When you spend that time Clearing your head you are actually not only paying yourself in imaginary dollars because it will make you that more efficient the rest of the day but you are filling your TANK with Good Stuff! I know, I know its hard to shut your brain down… But get this appointment with YOU on your google calendar, ical, or a big ol post it note on your desk. You will thank me later.
2 – Spend the time in your car with YOU! If you commute to work, turn the darn news off, turn the music off (you can listen in a later task) and fill your head with positivity. If you have a DVD player, then go to your library and check out some personal development. Personally I use my iphone and have an after market bluetooth and a subscription to audible.com (1 book a month for $14.95) since my car is older but now a days our cars are built with Blue Tooth. This will not only keep you OFF your phone while you are driving but you are now spending the time Fueling your brain again with positivity. I would suggest something like Stop Saying your Fine by Mel Robbins (your first book is free by the way). We tend to just pass through the days thinking how am I ever going to get through the day, I am telling you this is HOW!!
So FAR we have not ADDED any time to your daily life, have we? But what we have added is VALUE. You will be a happier mom, wife, friend, just by taking these first two steps, and feel like you have just had two massages!
3 – Create a Playlist and Listen to it while getting ready to start the day! You can see what I am doing here. I am showing you how to Turn Your Mind Off when you can = Pamper yourself! Before you go to bed, either download 10 songs from itunes or do my favorite, dig into your spotify and make your playlist that way. It is Free! Create a Playlist for each mood you tend to be in. If you are energized in the morning then create a playlist that accompanies that. If you need a pep talk, create a playlist that mimic’s that. If you just need something for a positive mood called MOOD BOOSTER, here is a playlist that I subscribe to that does the trick (see I have no creativity so I like to follow friends playlists, in fact right now as I write this I am listening to a playlist a friend on my hockey team made for our locker room, kind of pumps me up and makes me feel good!)
4 – Make your Shower a Spa! You can still do this on a budget. My favorite thing is to have products from the store Lush. I feel that every time a take a shower I am treating my body to a spa treatment without the cost of one. Heck I have the steam room, all that is left is the fancy smelling lotions and potions, right?? Some of my favorite Lush treats are Ro’s Argan Body Conditioner (not necessarily Budget friendly at $30 a tub) which make my body smell and feel amazing when I get out, and Happy Happy Joy Joy hair conditioner which makes my hair feel and smell amazing before crawling into bed. If you don’t have a Lush store or don’t want to spend the money on Lush you can do the same thing at the grocery store. Find some amazing smelling product (of course you want to use good quality products on your skin but if this changes your mindset and makes you feel amazing I am all for it as a treat.
5 – Get a 10 Min Massage! You are thinking what the heck is she talking about? 10 minutes? That’s it? I am telling you this is my Super Ninja Trick — This 10 min massage will cost you under $20 I guarantee it and will take 10 min out of your life but give you back a whole day in payment. This was my absolute favorite thing to do when I worked full time. I would take my lunch break at the mall. That was 1 hour for just me to clear my head and 10 minutes of it was spent in complete bliss. If you live near a large mall chances are you know exactly who I am talking about, become friends with those folks. They greet you with a smile and welcome you into their hands for the short time you have. I became kind of an addict about it and did it at least one time a week. It really was a time that I could just shut my mind down and feel like I was in my own world. The best part about it was that I was able to take on the rest of the day completely rejuvenated. If you don’t know of any place that does it. Reach out to a friend or post on your social media wall asking Where is the Nearest 10 minute chair massage. When you find your place, come back here and comment below that you think I am your best friend now!!!
I know you!! You are sitting on the couch and all you can think of is how HUNGRY you are and what you can snack on.
Come on admit it!
One of my favorite things about the 21 Day Fix is just how flexible it is. Yes YOU can eat out, yes YOU can have your wine. That being said you are so conditioned to feel like you are going to make a mistake in your choices that you either don’t eat enough or you keep it SUPER BORING (insert sad emoji..).
I know in my challenge groups the question always comes up about what snacks are SAFE and what are FORBIDDEN in every group.
If you are doing the 21 Day Fix I am giving a big PAT on your BACK for making probably the best decision of the year for yourself.
You can literally follow this plan every day of your life, am I right???
If you are still struggling at all with choices or what to do please don’t hesitate to email me at email@example.com so that I can work with you on making it work FOREVER. Until then, enjoy these healthy snack ideas!
1. Peanut Butter Apple: For a little energy and a suprisingly filling snack, spread 2 tsp natural peanut butter on a sliced small apple. Equals1 purple, 1 tsp
2. Fancy Oats: Curb your sweet tooth with a filling snack – steel cut oats topped with unsweetened shredded coconut. Equals1 yellow, 1 orange
3. The Greek Berry: For those missing their fruit-filled yogurt, add blueberries to Greek yogurt. For a cooler treat, freeze the berries first for one hour before adding to your yogurt. Equals1 red, 1 purple
4. Egg Sandwich: For those run out the door in the morning, place two hard-boiled eggs, halved and on a piece of whole wheat toast, folded in half. Equals 1 red, 1yellow
5. Coffee Crush: This is my coffee coolatta replacement. Blend one cup of iced coffee with one scoop of chocolate protein powder. Equals 1 red
6. Almond Butter Waffle: Here’s another quick snack that keeps you full. Spread 2 tsp almond butter on a whole grain waffle (kashi waffles are my fave and very easy to find.) Equals 1 yellow, 2 tsp
7. Simple Egg Scramble: In just 4 minutes, you can have a well-balanced snack. Heat 1 tsp coconut oil in a frying pan, add in mixed frozen vegetables, and crack two eggs on top of them. Mix with a spatula until eggs are cooked through. Equals1 green, 1 red, 1 tsp
8. Pineapple & Cottage Cheese: A unique combination that is sweet and tasty. Mix sliced pineapple with 2% cottage cheese for a light and healthy snack. Equals 1 red,1 purple
9. Banana Creamiscle: I borrowed this treat from my sister. Blend one half of a banana with unsweetened almond milk. Put the mixture in the freezer for an hour prior to chill, and then enjoy…yummy! Equals 1 purple, 1 yellow
10. Tuna and Hot Sauce: The hot sauce kills all of that over-fishy taste, and you are left with a high protein snack that will make your coworkers ask what you’re eating. Drain one can of tuna fish and top with Tobasco sauce to taste. Equals 1 red
11. Healthier Egg McMuffin: Can’t imagine not enjoying your McMuffine every morning? While you may not be able to enjoy McDonald’s version, you definitely can have this one as a snack or get creative and make it a meal by adding a lean protein to the sandwich. Fry one whole egg in one tsp cocnut oil and place on half of a whole grain English muffin. Equals one-half red, 1 yellow,1 tsp
12. Kale Chips: Another one of my faves…the healthiest green potato chip you will ever eat. De-stem and tear kale into bite size pieces, then add a tsp of extra virgin olive oil. Lay pieces flat on a cookie sheet sprinkle withyour favorite spices. I like cayenne pepper. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through. Equals 1 green, 1 tsp
13. Beef or Turkey Jerkey: An easy-to-carry high protein snack. When choosing a jerky, make sure to look at the ingredients list and choose one that does not contain monosodium glutamate. Just be careful with jerky as lots are extremely high in sodium. Equals 1 red
14. Mixed Nuts: Nuts are a great source of healthy fats, and they travel well. What I like to do is buy a bag of almonds, walnuts, cashews, peanuts, pecans, pistachios, and mix them together on my own. Remember, unsalted nuts only! Equals1 blue
15. Banana and Peanut Butter on Toast: A favorite from my childhood, spread 1 tsp of peanut butter on whole wheat toast and top with a half of a banana, sliced. Equals 1 yellow, 1 purple, 1 tsp
16. Almond Butter Strawberry Sandwich: No jam, no worries. Spread 1 tsp of almond butter on half a piece of whole grain bread, layer with strawberry slices and fold in half. Equals1 yellow, 1 purple, 1 tsp
17. Baked Apple: Core and then cut your apple in half, dust with cinnamon. Place on baking sheet center side up at 400° for 15 minutes or until the apple becomes slighty tender. Equals 1 purple
18. Red Pepper with Goat Cheese: This is super yummy if you enjoy goat cheese, which I happen to love. Take raw, fresh red pepper slices and top with crumpled goat cheese. Equals 1 green,1 blue
When I was a young girl my parents were athletes. My mother played softball and soccer and my dad played softball, soccer and basketball. I remember vividly hanging around the bleachers at the ball games, getting dirty and running around. Why wouldn’t I play sports too. If you grew up like me you were surrounded with sports. I was actually the first person (not just girl) to get a “rad” skateboard when I was a kid. Heck, my 8th grade graduation present was a BMX dirt bike.
I spent most of my youth in jeans and shorts just seeing how messy I could get or how fast I could be around the boys. That continued into my high school years. I played soccer, tennis and softball (1 year) competitively and my life evolved around after school practices. I had to be in the best shape as a teen but I never considered myself an athlete. Athlete’s ate really healthy, athlete’s knew their bodies were their temple. I was just a teenage girl who liked to hang out with my soccer friends and it just happened to be that we did a lot of running. I was horrible with my eating, enjoying a Burger King 2 for $2 every day after school (yea that’s 2 burgers and 2 fries for $2).
Fast Forward to College and the Sports went away but the eating habits did not. Are you with me here? Does this sound like you? I know I am not alone. This is where my biggest struggle came in. I didn’t know how to handle this, I didn’t know what to do, so I Yo-Yo Dieted. I had a horrible body image in college and I just kept hiding in my baggy clothes. Then when I met a boy it was time to “Diet” but I never really learned to eat right. Of course this got worse when I got married years later. I started playing hockey when I met my husband but of course I was 25 then and not 16 so my body didn’t act the same, nor did I burn the same amount of calories I did in high school. The only thing I knew how to do was to gain weight and wish that I was still that athlete I was in high school but with a day job.
Long story short, I wish I knew what I know now back then. So, if you find yourself relating to any of this then here are the action steps I wish I took way back then.
5 Action Steps to Getting that Athletic Self Back
1 – Tell yourself YOU ARE AN ATHLETE – Nothing has changed in your mind. You could still pick up that racket or soccer ball and kick the crap out of it like you did when you were a kid, right? You know you could do it, so YEAH you are still an athlete! Stop feeling sorry for yourself!
2 – STOP going through the DRIVE THRU! Today there are so many healthier choices. Even though fast food restaurants try and keep up with the healthy trends, THOSE FRENCH FRIES are still staring at you. Write down 3 Restaurants in your area as your GO-TO Healthy Options. I will give you some examples: Chipotle, Subway, and hey Panera has a great “hidden” menu, just ask them for it!
3 – Go on Amazon and order the book The Champagne Diet it is like $5 on kindle. Talk about feeling confident in your skin, and no it is not a DIET book!
4 – Connect yourself with a Like Minded Group of individuals. I have been involved in private Facebook groups for years, I only wished they existed way back when. There are so many support groups out there, if you are on Facebook just search for groups like “mom’s fitness group” or “former athlete’s fitness group”
“Most of us Plateau when we lose the tension between where we are and where we ought to be” – John Gardiner.
5 – Set yourself a Goal to DO SOMETHING. Have you always wanted to do a Tri-athalon? Have you always wanted to run a Half Marathon? a Mud Run? a Fitness competition? Play your sport again? Then SIGN UP and work towards it. Tell the World, tell Facebook that YOU ARE DOING this thing! People may say you are nuts but in my world, that is just more fuel for the fire!
If you liked this post please feel free and HIT THE LIKE button ABOVE and let your Friends NOW you are COMMITTING!!
I will start by saying I started doing double workouts last week, 3 days of Crossfit on the same days as I started 21 Day Fix Extreme. I did those 3 Days with no problem. The next two days was where my plans came crumbling down. I did one workout on Wednesday and had a deep tissue massage to take care of an inflamed IT Band and then Thursday I took on 21 Day Fix Extreme – Lower Body Extreme and then………… played hockey…… and BOOM… reached my foot out and pulled my back muscle. So here is what I think you should do when it comes to double workouts.